Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Man shot by sheriff's deputy after threat

A standoff in the Town of Hammond late Saturday night with an allegedly suicidal man has left the man dead.

According to a news release from St. Croix County Sheriff Dennis Hillstead, at approximately 11:02 p.m. on Saturday, the Sheriff's Office was notified of a 9-1-1 call stating that Jacob Lee Sperl, 22, of 1848 60th Avenue in the Town of Hammond had made suicidal threats and was armed with a shotgun.

The caller said that in phone contact with Jacob, Jacob had indicated he had shells for the shotgun and was going to take his own life and "if the cops come up the driveway it will be too late."

The caller also said that Jacob's parents were in the residence and Jacob was outside the home.

At 11:16 p.m. St. Croix County Sheriff's Deputies arrived at the scene and parked on the road. The Deputies approached the residence on foot and as they were crossing the yard from the west, an unknown vehicle pulled into the driveway and stopped in front of the home. Two individuals got out of the vehicle and made contact with Jacob who was on the east side of the
residence's attached garage.

The two deputies continued to approach Jacob and the other two individuals. Jacob moved quickly away from the other two people and then reached down and picked up a shotgun laying on the ground.

A deputy yelled that "he has a gun," then ordered Jacob several times to put the gun down.

Jacob ignored the verbal commands, raised the shotgun and pointed it at one of the deputies. At that time both deputies discharged their weapons at Jacob, striking him.

Emergency medical personnel arrived at the scene and determined that Jacob was dead.

A examination of the shotgun determined that there was one round in the chamber. Nineteen additional shotgun rounds were found on Jacob's person.

Both the Sheriff's Deputies have been placed on administrative leave in accordance with Department policy, said the release from Sheriff Hillstead. The release said the incident remains under investigation by the Pierce County Sheriff's Department and the St. Croix County Sheriff's